Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Monday, April 19, 2021
     

    Therapy Session

    Back I am at the blog, in search of counseling. Did I mention that this blog serves as my makeshift therapist? I visualize it as female, of no particular appearance, leaning forward, professionally caring but geared to forcing the truth out of me. 

    Then we sit and look at whatever this truth is. 

    Well, (I brace myself,) the past month has been a little tough. It's indisputable that my father's dementia is getting worse. His sister called last week to speak with him and then asked to talk to me; she wanted to know how he's doing. He can't really carry on a conversation any more, though he is always glad to hear from her. I think he had another stroke about a month ago; he has to be coaxed to eat, and often falls asleep during breakfast or dinner. He can't tell us when he has to go to the bathroom any more and is often incontinent without being aware of it. In addition to that my aunt, the one with metastatic lung cancer - remember? She's on hospice now - is becoming weaker and weaker. She is eating less and her weight loss is accelerating. A few weeks ago I made the decision to move in with them, and I've been staying there more or less full time. 

    This means I won't be seeing patients for now. Not that I was seeing many, just one four hour shift per week, but it was something. It made me feel like a doctor again and not just an overloaded daughter, gave me a chance to dust off my skills rather than letting them atrophy. Even virtual visits are not an option, as it has become impossible to spend four uninterrupted hours online due to the needs of my parents and aunt.

    My aunt is my main responsibility right now. She is becoming increasingly confused as well as having major memory loss (probably due to the chemo and radiation). She isn't able to keep herself occupied with much - she does read but I don't know how much of the book she retains day to day. In an effort to give her variety, I tried to show her how to use my Kindle but she simply could not fathom it, even after I set up a book for her with a large font. She could not remember how to tap it to turn the pages. Physically, she is wheelchair bound and requires oxygen at all times. Even taking her to the bathroom has become a significant journey.

    Her friends have been very supportive and have made the drive from the Palm Springs area many times in the past two months to visit. Two came yesterday and two more are coming today; yesterday, two men (partners) and today two women (also partners). The women have a lovely long-haired dachshund that loves my aunt, and my aunt loves her right back. I will miss seeing her today as I had to go into town for an orthodontist's appointment (my treatments are over and I am graduating to a retainer, hooray!)

    My aunt has outlived her prognosis, I think due to force of will alone. Major props to her for this. Taking care of her has taught me a lot, as I have never seen major illness from the family point of view before - only as a physician. Eventually I will go back to work part time, and I hope I will take what I have learned with me.  

    I don't know whether all of this commentary adds up to anything or not. At least it is a relief to put it down.

    Labels: , ,


    1 comments

    1 Comments:

    My blog turned into a diary and followed written diaries going back to 1970. Therapeutic, yes; and some kind of satisfaction in ‘recording’ things. On the family front, my mother can longer read books as the effort is too taxing. It’s news and documentary television now with British drama for light relief - and the volume on maximum.

    By Blogger paul kennedy, at May 11, 2021 at 6:39 PM  

    Post a Comment