Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Friday, July 10, 2020
     
    Cake or Death

    The comedian Eddie Izzard has a wonderful routine called "Cake or Death." It's sort of a meditation on religious and geopolitical history and you can see it here (language warning). Basically, he's saying that if the Church of England tried to mimic the Spanish Inquisition everybody would  wind up getting cake. Why would you choose death if you were offered cake?

    But I seem to be entering that part of the life cycle in which you're surrounded by death. Patients I have known for years are dying. My trainer has lost both parents in the three years we've been working together, and another trainer I work with occasionally is about to lose his mother to breast cancer. A close relative of mine has metastatic lung cancer. My parents are reasonably stable - for the moment - but the question is for how long; they're both in their eighties. 

    Several friends of mine have lost parents or other family members recently.

    I guess what I'm saying is it would be nice to be offered some cake for a change. 

    Labels:


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment