Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Monday, April 18, 2011
     
    Weekend Off


    This past weekend was my first weekend off in, I calculated, five weeks. Factor in the ACP meeting in San Diego, two weekends in Guatemala and a weekend on call and you will understand why I did a faceplant into my bed Friday night and spent the weekend doing as little as possible. It felt goooood. I did a little cleaning, a little writing (a very little), some office scutwork and began to rewatch Season Five of 24. Man, what a great season that was. Jam packed with great character actors and a star who was generous enough to step back and give Gregory Itzin and Jean Smart breathing room to do what they do best. They stole the show out from under him (and I mean that in the very best way). Part of the problem with the three seasons that followed is that the writers fell back on the Jack Bauer character to do most of the heavy lifting, instead of trusting the other characters and storylines more. Seasons Six, Seven and Eight were not nearly as good. I guess lightning only strikes once.

    This week I'm covering for the medical director and I really don't think I want to do this again. In the past it's been a formality with not much for me to do, but this time the administrative second-in-command has also been out and I am getting snowed with vacation requests and patient complaints to review. Unlike the guys who usually do this job, I don't have any administrative time built into my schedule to handle this stuff. At least it's only for a week.

    Office drama: the Old Doc who moved into my office two years ago had a blowup with his secretary last week and she has cleared out. This means he's now on his third secretary. (The other two were extremely competent, IMHO; he's just an exasperating micromanager.) Number Three is a nice young woman who's worked here for a while, but I honestly don't know how long she's going to last. I wish to high heaven that Dr. Oldguy would retire and leave us all alone. However, I don't see that happening any time soon.

    And lastly, a co-worker has been going through some very difficult changes in her personal life (I won't say more except that I feel for her, and it isn't something that's her fault). She has been needing to take some time off to deal with these issues, and that means I've been trying to cover for her as well. So, it's been busy. We'll see how this week goes.

    Labels: ,


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment