Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010
     
    Inventing Dinner.


    Lately I've been playing the "what can I make for dinner tonight without going to the store" game. Some nights you lose... such as when I have oatmeal or cold cereal for dinner. Some nights you win. Tonight I won, thanks to a weekend shopping trip in which I took advantage of the coupons my local store had mailed me. I made a batch of Spaghetti Sauce from the cookbook Frozen Assets and bought some (cheap) shredded mozzarella and parmesan thanks to the coupons.

    With the sauce in mind I found a half box of mostaccioli in the pantry and threw together the following. Cook the pasta and drain. Mix with a cup or so of mozzarella, a drained can of sliced mushrooms and as much spaghetti sauce as you need. Top with parmesan and bake at 375º until done. Excellent.

    Here is the recipe for the spaghetti sauce - I made a half batch and there's plenty in the freezer now.

    Two lb Italian sausage or ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey)
    2 C. chopped onions
    1/2 C. chopped bell pepper (red or green)
    1/2 C. chopped celery
    2 tsp minced garlic
    4 large cans tomato sauce - these would be about 28 oz each
    4 16 oz cans Italian style diced tomatoes (undrained)
    1 large can sliced black olives (I omitted this and used some chopped mushrooms instead)

    Brown the meat and the next four ingredients. Add the sauce and tomatoes. Simmer for an hour or so, then add olives (if using). If adding mushrooms, brown with the other vegetables.

    Labels:


    1 comments

    1 Comments:

    Dr. Alice, you might like the recipe Chris Jordan passed on here.

    By Blogger Janis Gore, at April 14, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

    Post a Comment