Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009
     
    The Noble Art of Medicine

    ...and here we are at the ACP meeting. V. and I are roommates this time around and are sharing my computer (she brought hers but can't seem to get the wireless access to work). Philadelphia is beautiful at this time of year, though the budding trees are giving her allergies.

    The national meeting of any medical specialty is always fun, giving MD's a chance to catch up with old friends from residency and/or medical school and two or three days of luxurious learning without having to worry about patients and phone calls. So far today I have attended lectures on insomnia, dementia, neurologic examinations and pain management. Tomorrow will include wound care and renal disease. This may sound dreary, but it's not; the speakers here are the best in their fields. You don't get an invitation to speak at a national meeting unless you're really good.

    I haven't been to the sponsors' hall yet (drug companies, medical data management companies, locum tenens companies and so forth) but V. has. She came back with all sorts of goodies: a T shirt, travel coffee mugs, pencils, a flashlight and hand disinfectant. I plan to go there tomorrow and see what I can get.

    I ran into one of my old cardiology professors from med school. He remembered me, and I was greatly flattered. Also, I took V. for a cheesesteak today and we toured the Reading Terminal Market, which she greatly enjoyed. We're both beat due to jet lag but it's going to be another early day tomorrow - lectures start at 7 am.

    Labels: , ,


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment