Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Friday, February 06, 2009
     
    It Has Come To This

    So there's this drug called Amitiza, used to treat severe chronic constipation. Most people don't need it; you put them on prunes or spinach and explain to them that they are supposed to eat five to seven fruits/vegetables per day and not per week, and they do fine.

    But some people do need it. I have one patient who does. Today I had to call his insurance company to get the drug re-authorized, and this is what ensued:



    Pharmacy Benefit Rep: "What is the frequency of the patient's bowel movements on the medication?"



    Me: "Whaa?"



    PBR: "How often is he having bowel movements?"



    Me: "He has not shared that information with me."



    PBR: "We need to know that before I can authorize the Amitiza."



    So now I have to call up my patient and ask him how frequently he, uh, goes. What a surreal conversation that's going to be.

    Labels: ,


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment