Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008
     
    New Frontier

    Well, this is a first. I am actually dictating a blog entry. Last week, after months of waiting, I was finally set up with something called Dragon voice recognition software. I wasn't sure I would be needing it, but a few trials have convinced me that it's definitely the way to go. I'm getting through my notes much faster with it, although I am a reasonably good typist. I have had to go back and correct a few things, but overall I have definitely been impressed with the accuracy of this software. So naturally, I thought: Why not try it for blog entries? Hence this post.

    It's a bit of a hassle saying "comma" and "period" all the time but overall it is well worth the effort. I am somehow being reminded of something P.G. Wodehouse once wrote on the one occasion when he tried dictating his stories to a secretary: He visualized the secretary saying to herself "Well comma this beats me period. How comma with homes for the feeble-minded touting for custom on every side comma has this Wodehouse managed to remain at large as of even date mark of interrogation." I wouldn't be surprised if this software feels the same way about me.

    I hope everyone's Labor Day was good. I spent my weekend running errands and cooking; I now have quite a few lunches packed in the freezer awaiting their destiny. It was amazing how many things I managed to cross off my list, though I'm sure they will be replaced by new emergencies soon enough.

    Since I'm running out of ideas, I shall sign off. I hope this doesn't mean all my future posts are going to consist of dictated drivel.

    Labels:


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment