Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008
     
    A Somewhat Odd Recipe

    Yes, another one. This is how it came about. I bought too much shoepeg corn for the Taco Soup and was wondering what to do with it, so I did a web search and quickly found a recipe (or rather, several variants of the same recipe) for a casserole using shoepeg corn. I decided to give it a try, since I had most of the ingredients in the house - minus the canned green beans, but a simple trip to the store remedied that one. Here we go.

    One can shoepeg corn, drained
    One can French-cut green beans, drained
    One cup sour cream
    One can cream of something soup (mushroom, chicken, or celery - your choice)
    One cup shredded Cheddar cheese, as mild or sharp as you want
    Chopped celery and onion - proportions range from one-half to one cup each

    Mix all ingredients, put in a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, then top with crushed crackers or breadcrumbs mixed with melted butter and put back in oven for 5 minutes or so. I had leftover Pepperidge Farm stuffing crumbs from Thanksgiving so, hey, guess what I used.

    I should emphasize here that I really didn't know how this would turn out, but when you find several variants of the same recipe it is a safe bet to make it. No matter which variation you try it will likely be good. And this was.

    Hmm, not bad, was my initial thought. As I found myself returning to the kitchen for a second helping I remedied that to hey, this is pretty good. It is rich, though. It would feed six to eight people as a side dish easily, maybe more. It is much better than the traditional canned-green-bean casserole, which I really can't stand... it has more crunch and character (though I still like my beloved celery casserole better, more veg and less rich).


    I know what I'm going to bring to the office for lunch the next few days, let's put it that way. Not that that's a bad thing: some fruit and carrot sticks, and you're done.

    Labels:


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment