Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Monday, December 03, 2007
     
    You Want Me To Write You a Letter of Recommendation?

    My office is losing one of its best receptionists this week; she's moving back East to help out with some family issues. It's always sad when somebody who's reliable and knows what they're doing moves on. I truly want to yell, "What are we going to do without you??"

    Jane, as I shall call her, asked me to write her a letter of recommendation and I was happy to do it. She's been the head receptionist in our after-hours clinic (which I manage) for years and I have relied on her many times to let me know when things aren't working right. This is especially important given that most of the clinic docs are residents and don't always have the hang of how things work in the outpatient setting. (They can diagnose and treat, it's arranging aftercare that stumps them.)

    Anyway. I drafted a glowing letter of recommendation and gave it to Jane to review. She took one look at it and shrieked with laughter, due to the postscript I had added at the last second:

    P.S. -- Jane eats live babies, so I would not suggest that she work in Pediatrics.

    Needless to say the postscript was omitted from the final letter, but I could not resist the opportunity to get a rise out of her.

    Labels:


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment