Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Friday, November 30, 2007
     
    Elmo, the Smoking Muppet

    Sometimes my patients will bring their kids along to their appointments, life being what it is; and understanding that sometimes you just gotta bring your kids along, I am generally okay with that. Once in a while I will be cursed with a kid who is convinced that this is all a plot and Mommy isn't the patient and I am going to stick them with a huge needle when they least expect it, and they shriek at the top of their lungs all through the visit (Reason #1 why I didn't go into Peds: crying kids), but usually all goes well. Today it went well.

    "The doctor's going to examine you in a minute, honey. Can you say aahhh? Just like the doctor did with Elmo?" My patient's two-year-old daughter beamed, opened her mouth and stuck her tongue out as far as it would go.

    "We watched a video yesterday where Elmo goes to the doctor," my patient explained. "I thought it would help get us through the visit." She continued in a singsong voice, half to me, half to her daughter: "And the doctor took Elmo's blood pressure and told him he was fine, but Elmo still had to get a shot."

    "And then the doctor told Elmo to quit smoking," I contributed.

    My patient laughed. "Yes, that explains his voice! It's the smoking!"

    Labels:


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment