Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007
     
    Aargh

    The first day back at work is always painful: Today was no exception, though it was more literally painful than is usually the case. As I was getting out of the airport shuttle van Monday night I managed to catch my little finger in the door and wrench it severely. It started swelling immediately and was an interesting shade of black and blue by yesterday morning. I cannot bend it at the proximal joint. Fortunately typing is not a problem, in fact, it's much easier than holding a pen.

    Figuring I might as well know the awful truth about the state of my proximal interphalangeal joint, I phoned up our X-ray tech who told me "Come on down." I descended to the x-ray suite, presented my pinky for inspection and soon found myself seated in a chair with a lead apron flung over me.

    "You want two views or three?" she asked.

    "Better make it three." Click, click, click and we were done. On review it looks as though I may have a small nondisplaced chip fracture in the PIP joint, so we sent the film to a radiologist for an expert opinion and I phoned up the hand surgeon's office. They are sending me a splint for my pinky via interoffice mail. If that doesn't help I may have to actually go and see the guy, but I'll try this first.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment