Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Thursday, July 05, 2007
     
    Sometimes It Is That Easy

    Several years ago a co-worker showed up in the break room with a slow cooker filled with the most delicious pork ribs I've ever had.

    "How did you do this?" I gasped.

    "It's really easy," she confided. "The sauce is equal parts soy sauce, sugar and water. Oh, and you need a lot of garlic. A lot of garlic. You can do it with chicken, too."

    "Hmm," I responded. Soy sauce, sugar, and water? The garlic I could get behind, but the rest of the recipe sounded too good to be true. I filed it away in memory, vaguely meaning to try it. I never got around to it until this year's Fourth of July, when I realized that I had some chicken breasts dying of freezer burn that I had to use up. The garlic - nice, fresh, and plump - was on sale in the local grocer's. Soy sauce and sugar - not a problem, I've always got those. What better time to give this "recipe" a try?

    I thawed and skinned the chicken (should be on the bone for this recipe), mixed together equal proportions of the three ingredients - you should have enough to cover the chicken - and chopped up several cloves of garlic and chucked them in. I could not make up my mind as to the proper temp for the slow cooker... low or high? I temporized by alternating between the two settings.

    It worked. I still can't believe it, but it worked. One caveat: despite anything you may have heard to the contrary, it IS possible to overcook chicken in the slow cooker - but perhaps I should have left it on "Low." Be that as it may, it is delicious. It fell off the bone when I looked at it and the remainder is currently sitting in the fridge for tomorrow (and perhaps the next day, if I'm not greedy). Goes well with rice. Give it a try, you won't regret it. Especially if you have freezer burned chicken... as long as you have enough marinade to cover. It will turn out nicely.

    Labels:


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment