Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Friday, April 13, 2007
     
    Quick Apology

    ... and an even quicker goodbye.

    You're quite right, I haven't posted in awhile. I am very sorry, and this must stop. The only excuse I can give is how wild things have been lately at work. (I spent Easter weekend on call in the hospital and my Easter dinner was a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese.) I am off to Guatemala tomorrow for a ten-day medical mission. I will post descriptions - and, hopefully, pictures as well - when I return.

    I will share this vignette with you, my favorite recent work memory. I was doing a physical on a patient and she was telling me about her niece, who cannot carry a pregnancy but had managed to find a surrogate to carry hers and her husband's embryo. The pregnancy, fortunately, is going well. The patient asked me worriedly: "I know my niece is the mother, but will the baby... absorb... some traits from the woman who's carrying the baby?"

    Me: "No. That would be the 'Horton Hatches the Egg' Gene Theory."

    Labels:


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment