Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, September 06, 2006
     
    Zero To Sixty

    I had a lovely week off work, but my peaceful attitude was destroyed upon my return... as usual. Even though Monday was a holiday, it didn't feel like one; I dropped in to the office to review charts and suddenly realized I had a nursing home patient who was overdue to be seen (I had conveniently managed to forget about her, probably due to Vacation Brain). At the same time I checked the call schedule and saw that I was scheduled to be the hospitalist this week, AGAIN. I just did this two weeks ago, dammit. It's somebody else's turn. Throw in 300 spams in my inbox and a nasty sinusitis I managed to acquire on the trip back, and you can see that my attitude at the moment is not of the best.

    There is good news. After months of limbo, it is now a fact that my office is going to be moving to much posher digs than those we currently occupy. Our management has been wanting to do this for a year, but one thing after another kept delaying us - most notably a recalcitrant landlord who did not want to negotiate. However, at last The Firm has signed the lease and applied for approval of our remodeling plans. We will probably not move before February, but at least we're making progress. Once we have a definite move-in date, my next step will be making arrangements to get my brother's desk from the East Bay locker where it currently resides. (My brother is the proud owner of a beautiful, huge old wooden desk that he snagged when his employer redecorated and bought all new office furniture. I've wanted it for ages, but he was unwilling to part with it until he and his wife had a baby. The home office became a nursery, and the desk is now somewhere in Oakland.)

    More good news: since the start of the summer, I have been on a four-day work week. This means that while my Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday schedules are somewhat longer than previously, I have Thursdays off. It's wonderful. Now if I could just find something to do with my Thursdays other than drinking coffee and staring blankly out the window - though I do enjoy that. What I really should do is clean out the kitchen cupboards. Perhaps that will be this week's agenda.

    Now if I can just stagger through the rest of today, I will take my sinusitis home and put it to bed.

    Labels:


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment