Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Thursday, September 14, 2006
     
    Google's Advice of the Day

    How to remove a hickey. Potentially useful; I'd never heard of most of these ideas.

    One of the most embarrassing--although not particularly amusing--moments of my life was the time I had to testify in a criminal case. The charge was spousal abuse, and the plaintiff was my patient who'd been beaten up by her husband. The defense claimed that the patient's bruises, well documented on Polaroid photos, were hickeys. Needless to say, they weren't. I then had to explain to the jury the difference between hickeys and bruises, and how I could tell the difference. (Tip: hickeys are punctate and reddish-purple. Bruises are darker and homogenous, with no little dots in them.)

    I never thought I'd be testifying as a hickey expert, but medicine takes you to some strange places.

    Labels: ,


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment