Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, February 15, 2006
     
    Sleep, Interrupted

    It's always hard to function post call. Last night I got three admissions between 5 and 6 p.m. - good; I didn't get any others. The phone calls, however, persisted all night. I got another ER call an hour after I got to sleep, which destroyed my chance for any quality sleep the rest of the night. I was deeply asleep and it seemed to take forever to realize that the pager had gone off. It turned out to be an "FYI" call only, so at least I didn't have to go back to the hospital.

    At two a.m. I got another phone call from a girl who'd been having heavy gynecologic bleeding for a week, so of course decided to call in the middle of the night. Her dilemma: should she go to the ER or call her doctor in the morning? Resisting the impulse to say "How the f*%# do I know?", I mustered enough coherence to discuss her symptoms with her. (She decided to wait.)

    I had a meeting scheduled at the hospital today. I was too tired to go, so called in "sick." Bad doctor.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment