Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Saturday, February 04, 2006
     
    Recipe

    So tomorrow's the Super Bowl. (GO STEELERS!)

    If you're going to a party, or hosting one, you might need a side salad. Potato salad is one of those things that I always think I'm going to like but often don't. Potato salad needs attention; it can be bland, which I really dislike, but it doesn't have to be. In a cookbook I recently bought called What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House To Eat (I really like this book, by the way; it's out of print but still available on Amazon), I found a recipe for something called "Russian Potato Salad" which has become my recipe of choice. It's easy and delicious, and NOT bland.

    First, take a couple of large potatoes and boil (this can take up to thirty minutes). Cool, peel, and dice. Add finely diced dill pickle and onion - the recipe calls for a quarter cup of each but I use more. The onion can be regular or scallion (green onion). Add a cup of peas (frozen are fine) cooked until just done and cooled under running water. Bind the salad with mayonnaise, thinned with a healthy dose of lemon juice. I like to throw some Dijon mustard in as well. This salad does not need salt but does need pepper. You can use white pepper, or fresh-ground black pepper if you prefer. The original recipe also calls for hard-cooked egg, which I usually leave out, but if you want to put it in, hard-boil an egg and finely dice the white and add to the salad; then sieve the yolk over the top of the salad. It does make a nice presentation.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment