Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, November 09, 2005
     
    "This Is Not a Drill"; Cold War Relics in Los Angeles

    I've read one or two articles over the years about the system of air raid sirens built in Los Angeles in the 1940's and 1950's. They were supposed to provide a warning in the event of a missile attack. You can still see them all over the city today; they stand, rusting, at busy intersections or seen from a distance amid city buildings. If you didn't know what they were you'd probably pay no attention to them. The system was deactivated years ago and no one tests the sirens any more - I doubt that most of them even have working electrical connections. I see one occasionally as I drive around the city. I haven't started taking pictures of them yet, but other people have. I am proud to present the following photoblog site of air raid sirens for your perusal and entertainment, and doubly glad since it once again validates my belief that you can find anything on the Internet.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment