Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, August 03, 2005
     
    True Confessions

    ... so y'all are probably wondering why I haven't been posting.

    Or maybe not.

    Suffice to say that I've been having a crise de coeur (sounds so much better than "midlife crisis," doesn't it). Funny thing is, when I turned forty it really wasn't that big a deal. I was too busy to notice. But in the last two years, I have lost friends to suicide and cancer; my brother got married, and in fact he and his wife have just had a baby (which is wonderful, but hit me with a bit of a thud as I am still single); and I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew in my work when I took on extra duties to pay for the Renovation Project. Plus, one of my emotional mainstays - my church - has become more of a rope bridge with multiple planks missing than a place of rest and renewal. Also, I couldn't help noticing how many of my fellow bloggers are dealing with challenging situations or in fact have embraced change gracefully - as opposed to me. If you viewed me as sitting in an armchair with my feet up scarfing Cheetos for the last year you would not be too far off. I should be doing better than that but I can't seem to summon up the strength to contemplate change.

    I lost it at work a few weeks ago, and was taken in hand by my medical director. (I don't mean that I was screaming at a patient, rather, I was crying uncontrollably.) She got me some help, and I'm doing better now. Just to reassure at least one of you, no, I am not rifling through the medicine cabinet for the cyanide pellets. I am, in fact, hanging out with my neighbor quite a bit. She decided that we should devote ourselves to doing something fun or challenging every weekend, and it seems to be helping. I will share a bit of this with you soon. Just wanted to let you know what was going on, and to let you know that I have not given up blogging.

    Yours,
    Dr. A

    P.S. Going on vacation, will be back next week.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment