Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Friday, April 15, 2005
     
    Hello, Gentle Readers

    I've been meaning to post. Really I have. But Things kept getting in the way. Things like meetings, and patient-packed days that produced fatigue like unto brain death, and my performance review. Yes, doctors do get performance reviews. No, they aren't going to fire me. (Dr. Alice does not play well with others. She needs to work on her communications skills.)

    Last weekend I took a whirlwind trip to Vegas and had a total blast. I met up with a friend from college that I hadn't seen for years. It was cool and breezy (it actually rained Friday night!) The funniest part of the trip was the leaflet in the hotel room apologizing for the Vegas moth infestation - the extra rain this year produced a bumper crop of moths which were somehow getting into the hotels and annoying people. The second-funniest thing about the trip was the realization that the hotel was infested with "Parrot Heads." As I checked in I saw a homemade sign behind the bell desk:

    WELCOME PARROT HEADS

    Say what? was my reaction, but I was too tired to ask. As I rode up in the elevator, three people wearing aloha shirts, draped in Mardi Gras beads, and carrying Corona beers got on with me. I made eye contact with the most cheerful looking of the trio and asked, "What's a Parrot Head?" Gleefully, he waved an ID badge at me which was emblazoned with a picture of a grinning man on a beach with a guitar slung over his back and the name "Jimmy Buffett." Aha! Let me say that nothing adds to the Vegas experience like having a bunch of fun-loving drunken guys in grass skirts and parrot hats wandering around your hotel.

    That Saturday night we took a helicopter flight around Las Vegas. The skyline was spectacular, and as we passed the Luxor, with its pyramid shape and laser beam, I noticed what looked like glittering confetti in the beam... oh my God, those are moths! Yep, hundreds of moths drawn to the Luxor like, um, moths to a flame. Well, if they're frying in the laser beam at least they're not infesting the hotels.

    Tonight V. and I are en route to New York for a week. A relative of hers died and she has to clean out the apartment; I said I'd help. (She believed it!) In all seriousness, I'm going to help her get things organized and start dropping things off at thrift shops, etc. We do plan to do some sightseeing and theater as well. If I can make it to an Internet cafe, I'll post; if not, you will hear from me upon our return. Hasta la vista, baby!

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment