Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, February 23, 2005
     
    "Bertha Upstairs"

    Via Bookslut comes the news that Great Britain has released a series of stamps honoring Jane Eyre. Apparently they are reproduced from illustrations from a recent edition of the book. I honor the thought (Jane Eyre has always been one of my favorite books), but these are some freaky pictures: forgive me, but on the second stamp from the top Jane looks as if she's straining to pass a bowel movement.

    I read Jane Eyre for the first time in eighth grade and loved it. I still have fond memories of the quizzes we were given, because the day after the test the teacher would present us with a list of our writing mistakes to critique. This was an opportunity for great hilarity as we dissected run-ons, dangling participles, and the like. No, this was not an exercise in humiliation: names were not included. My favorite one, which I still remember after nearly thirty years, was in answer to the question, "Why do people still read Jane Eyre?":

    "People love mysteries. Bertha upstairs."

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment