Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Monday, March 01, 2004
     
    No Weddings, Two Funerals

    Apologies for the lack of posts. This has been a difficult week. On Tuesday I went to church for a school board meeting and ran into a friend who told me that a mutual friend of ours (I'll call her Jennifer) had died that day. She had metastatic colon cancer which was diagnosed about eighteen months ago; unfortunately, it had already spread to her liver at the time they found the tumor.

    Jennifer was the parish administrator for many years, and did a fantastic job. She also sang in the choir, and her memorial service was attended by current and former choir members who sang with her. The music was outstanding, and the eulogy was given by the choir director.

    Jennifer's illness kept her away from church for over a year before she died. I sent her a card or two, and sent some food for her family after her initial diagnosis, but I could have done more. I always intended to call or send her a letter to update her on what was going on at church, but I didn't - I always got sidetracked. It hurts to think of that now, but I have promised myself that I will not let that happen again.

    Michael's funeral was Saturday, and Jennifer's was yesterday. I was acolyte at both services. I'm glad I did it but I'm still wiped out. Please excuse the lousy writing today, but I wanted to let you know what was going on and I know I'm not going to have time to edit this.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment