Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Tuesday, January 06, 2004
     
    Golden Oldie

    My last patient of the day yesterday was an add-on belonging to some other doctor in the group. I heard him singing at the top of his lungs in the exam room next door; the patient I was seeing at the time looked at me and rolled her eyes. "I think we've got an Alzheimer's patient in here," I said dryly.

    The note on his chart read "hand laceration." I stepped into the room to be greeted by the unmistakable aroma of Unwashed Elderly Male.

    "Hi, sweetheart!" my patient greeted me. He was a cheerful looking old guy, with what was indeed a nasty-looking laceration across the heel of his hand. At least the margins were clean and it was relatively superficial.

    "How'd you do this?" I asked.

    "Well, honey, I had a tooth pulled yesterday and at 2:30 in the morning I went to the bathroom to rinse my mouth out. Whadda ya know, I forgot to put the lid back on the mouthwash and dropped the whole goddamn bottle on the floor. Next thing you know, I was on the floor." He turned the story into an epic. "I knew it was bad but I didn't want to go to the emergency room, so I just put some tape on it."

    I looked closely at the wound and decided it was something I could suture. I don't do more than three suturing jobs a year (internists almost never use their hands), but I enjoy doing it when I can.

    "Is it gonna hurt?"

    "I'll be honest with you, the first part will hurt. I have to put some numbing medicine in there so I can sew it up and take my time."

    "You do whatever you want, sweetheart. What do I call you?"

    "Just call me Alice." I was starting to like this guy: 86 years old and as sharp as a tack.

    "You don't mind if I sing, do you, Alice? It takes my mind off my troubles."

    "Go ahead." He howled a bit as I injected the lidocaine, and broke into "Shanghai Lil" and then "Shuffle off to Buffalo" as I proceeded around the wound margins. As I broke out the suture material, we started to chat.

    "So you're retired. What did you do for a living?"

    "I ran a newsstand on Wilshire for 42 years," he said proudly.

    "See any movie stars?" I asked, curious to see what kind of local history he could give me.

    "Hah! Did I see movie stars! I saw Jeannette MacDonald! I saw Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard..." The guy was a walking time capsule! He might be a tad eccentric, but there was nothing wrong with his memory. "I worked near the Four Star Theater. They had Lost Horizon playing there for a long time."

    "Ah, yes," I said, stretching my memory. "Ronald Colman."

    "And Margo, Edward Everett Horton..." he proceeded to give me the entire cast list. I was impressed.

    As I finished up, Newsstand Guy began to be concerned about what he'd be able to do with his right hand for the next few days.

    "Keep it dry," I advised him. "Do you have anybody around who can help you?"

    "No. I never married. My sister and I were close, but she's been dead for twenty years." His cheerful demeanor slipped for a moment.

    "Well, look, if you have any trouble this week, you can call Dr. X [his primary care doc]. Or call me."

    "Okay, Alice! Thanks a lot, sweetheart!"

    "You're welcome!" And for once, I meant it.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment