Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Sunday, November 02, 2003
     
    Update

    Well. I thought I�d take a few minutes on my dinner break to fill you in on my life before I go back to hitting the books:

    1. Boards are in three days. I think I�ll be okay � I think. I just need to keep studying a bit longer. I now realize that I should have started sooner, of course; ten years from now (if I�m still in practice then) I�ll begin this process at least a year ahead of time.

    2. The latest complication in this recertification farce is that two of my home-study modules have been fired back at me; apparently I failed Rheumatology and Cardiology. (Ironically, I had a cardiologist helping me with most of the answers to the damned test!) So I have to get those done and resubmitted before the end of the year � the saving grace, though, is that I don�t have to redo a new sixty-question booklet, just the ones I got wrong. The Board tells you which answers you got wrong, so it should be easy enough to go back and fix them. I�ll get to that after the test is over.

    3. I almost got denied access to the stupid test because the Board managed to lose my admission card in the mail. The only reason I found out about this in time to do anything about it is because my friend V. is taking her Endocrinology recertification exam on the same day and called to ask if I�d gotten my card. (�What card?" Cue the panic.) I called and begged for a new card to be sent to me and only received it yesterday. God bless V. She�s the only bright spot in this ordeal. We�ll both be in Pasadena all day on Wednesday � wish us luck.

    4. Hmm, so Gene Robinson got ordained. I had been following this whole issue with interest until about a month ago, at which point Test Panic overtook me and I turned into the most self-centered person on earth. Screw the ordination� what about my test?? At this point, I�ve more or less elected not to think about anything controversial or distracting for the next 72 hours. As always, Jack has an impressive number of links handy if you�re interested in following this issue. I will say this: it�s not over. Any optimists who thought the ordination of Gene Robinson would put an end to the controversy, think again. It will be interesting to see what happens within the ECUSA and the Anglican Communion as a whole over the next six to twelve months - but in much the same way that a train wreck is interesting. No, I'm not leaving my church. I have no desire to; more importantly, I feel I was called there and that's where I belong. If tensions arise locally - and I must say, so far I've seen no signs of that developing - I hope I can help in some way. Constructive, not obstructive; that's my motto.

    That's all, folks. Back to the books.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment