Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2003
     
    Not Thanksgiving Day, But Still a Day of Note

    Hi there. Quick check-in for you.

    Multitasking this morning: I'm blogging and I'm on call and I'm waiting till it's time to leave for the airport and I'm celebrating my birthday. Seems emblematic of the past year: I spent most of my time doing something while simultaneously doing something else. This is probably why it seems so unimportant that I'm turning the big 4-0 today.

    (Question from the peanut gallery: If it's so unimportant, why do you mention it? Answer: To have something to blog about, of course.)

    Seriously, I managed to spend the last few months barely cognizant of the fact that said birthday was approaching. Boards will do that to you. I ponder it at odd moments, like while brushing my teeth, and of course when inputting my age on the elliptical trainer at the gym. I know it's none of its damn business how old I am, but it's just trying to help. It also comes to mind when my sister calls me up, as she did last night, and leaves messages like "This is the last time you'll be thirty-nine!" Nevertheless, I say bring it on. Give me a fresh new year, better than the old year.

    I have requested scuba diving lessons from my family for my birthday: I want to start making some inroads on that "life goals" list I drew up a few months ago. I want to challenge myself. But fear not, I have no intention of taking up skydiving... the idea of being thirty feet underwater and possibly confronting a great white shark is more than enough for me. (Note: I also have to stop visualizing worst-case scenarios.)

    Well, that's it for now. I will clock in again after the holiday - happy Thanksgiving to you all in the States, and for those of you not in the States, have a great rest of the week and weekend.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment