Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Friday, November 21, 2003
     
    Is It Friday Yet?

    I've been a bad blogger... neglectful of my duties. The last few days I've really had nothing to say. Well, not nothing, exactly. I just didn't feel like inflicting every little gnat-like thought floating through my cerebral cortex on you, my patient readers.

    BUT. Our monthly physicians' meeting has been canceled, leaving me with time on my hands and an urge to communicate.

    The weather in LA has changed significantly since last month's fires; it rained hard Halloween night and it's been cool ever since (into the forties at night). I was delighted to return from Mexico's hot and humid nights so that I could enjoy curling under the blankets again. Years ago, many houses used to boast a sleeping porch - a tradition I'd like to revive. Every year at this time I wish I had one; maybe someday I'll add one on.

    This Sunday is the feast of Christ the King - the last Sunday of the liturgical year, which starts over again with the first Sunday of Advent (on November 30 this year). It also marks my debut as verger at St. James'. Yep, I get to wear the robes and carry the stick. I just hope I can get through the service without screwing things up... wish me luck. (Fortunately, I'm being trained by our head verger, who's been doing this for years and knows absolutely EVERYTHING.)

    And, last but not least, my birthday's next week. I got an anxious call from my mother asking what I'd like to mark the occasion. And it is an occasion... I'm turning forty.

    I can't believe this. Internally I think I'm still, I don't know, 29 or something. I don't think anyone actually visualizes themselves turning forty, or fifty, or sixty.

    I had more to say on this subject, but I'm getting buried in the Friday-afternoon rush, so will stop here and pick up on the topic later.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment