Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Thursday, October 02, 2003
     
    Various and Sundry Items

    Ooh, I just found out how to Googlesmack somebody. Inflicting passive-aggressive insults on one's fellow bloggers sounds like a frighteningly good time to me; I plan to give it a try. The posts above the Googlesmacking post are also eminently worth reading, as they refer to a new chick-lit book called Jemima J which is apparently absolutely horrible, and from the readers' comments on Amazon I believe it. It's a story about an overweight British woman who has no life until - magically! - she goes on a diet, goes to the gym, and loses 80 pounds just like that, at which point life becomes perfect and she gets a sexy new boyfriend! I love to defend chick lit (scroll down for previous post on this subject), but I have nothing to say here: The author should be put in the stocks for this one and pelted with copies of Bridget Jones.

    While on the subject of female writers, apparently somebody is planning to trademark Jane Austen's name for the purpose of selling Jane Austen brand teas and coffees: an odd idea. Yes, yes, it's an insult to our dear Jane to do this, but looking at it from the capitalist point of view it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I don't infallibly associate Jane Austen with tea and coffee, do you? I don't see her as a selling point. Maybe it's one of those British things.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment