Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2003
     
    Unbelievable

    Today I was seeing a patient with a lot of complaints - bowel problems, irregular menses, trouble sleeping - and she said that she was sure stress had a lot to do with it. I asked was she under particularly severe stress, and she said yes.

    What was the stress? I asked.

    A friend had recently died, her boyfriend had walked out on her, and then - dear God, I don't want to write this - she told me that her sister's abusive boyfriend had attacked her two small children with a knife. My patient said her niece was dead, and her two-month-old nephew had been stabbed in seven places but would survive. He had required reconstructive surgery on his arm.

    What do you say when someone tells you something like that? Besides "I hope the bastard rots in hell," I mean.

    I tried to take more time than usual, talked her through things, and told her to call me if she was getting worse or needed any help. I hope it gave her some relief to talk to me.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment