Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2003
     
    Dipshit Day

    Yesterday on my first day back every dipshit in my practice decided either to show up or call me. Either way, it was their mission to make my life miserable and they succeeded. Ah, medicine... tell me again why I decided to commit to you, you cruel bitch of a higher calling.

    However. Let's get past my personal issues and review The Wedding, shall we? For me the best part was where we stayed. The wedding was in Vermont, where the bride spent a large part of her childhood; very beautiful, but it meant that everyone in my family who attended had to travel cross-country. My mother had the forethought to rent a house for us instead of making hotel reservations, and there were ten of us there - seven adults and three kids (five, three and one year of age). The adults were me, my parents, my sister and her husband, and her husband's parents (who came along to help with the kids and because my niece and nephew were a flower girl and ring bearer, respectively). Breakfast became a luxury - coffee and conversation! I'm so used to living alone that I didn't realize how much I've missed meals with other people. I told my mother that it felt just like the Waltons, but she was not amused by my comparison.

    The weekend was straight out of the Preppy Handbook, if you remember that. At the barbecue Thursday night that kicked off the festivities, there were men wearing blazers over aloha shirts. (Yes, people really do dress like that!) The reception was at the local country club, founded over 100 years ago. All the bridesmaids were slim, attractive and athletic... except me. I never do well at these things; I never feel that I know the proper bridal etiquette, that I'm not feminine enough, etc. Nevertheless, I made it through in one piece and it really was a lovely service. The reception was great, too.

    Now, back to regular posts as soon as I get a chance; I now have my Boards recertification coming up in six weeks.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment