Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Tuesday, July 08, 2003
     
    Toujours Malawi

    I almost forgot. Here's Chuen-Yen's post for this week:



    Happy Fourth of July. Here's this week's memoir:

    Gift has taken to swatting imaginary insects in my presence. This practice commenced shortly after I confronted him about pilfering a handful of anti-malarials.

    Having observed my recent recovery and discovered a new mefloquine supply, Gift decided to treat himself. Thus Gift, who regularly riffles through my belongings and pockets food, household necessities and writing implements, filched several Larium tablets. Though I overlook the frequent disappearance small items, his nicking of my prophylaxis after last week�s malaria episode was exceptionally disconcerting.

    So I resolved to dismiss Gift. To facilitate the transition, I forgave his many debts and told him to keep the iron he had �borrowed.� Gift cried. He apologized. He begged forgiveness. He promised to compensate me. (I have no idea how.) He vowed to reform. And I caved in to this pathetic bunkum.

    To repent for his transgression, Gift is demonstrably protecting me from malaria. He assails invisible mosquitoes when I am nearby. He spews Doom, the odiferous �kill on contact� bug spray, about the house. And he has hermetically sealed my bedroom windows. Unfortunately, the purloining continues.

    Gift, for whom honesty seems a luxury cast to the wayside by desperation, is actually quite astute. From me he garnered some information about malaria treatment. From government role models, he learned to steal, ignore genuine problems and conspicuously tackle non-issues.

    Hope you�re staying clear of those pesky mosquitoes.

    C



    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment