Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, July 23, 2003
     
    Humbling Moment

    Yesterday I saw a woman who's been my patient for five years. She had several health issues, which we addressed - then at the end of the visit she told me that she's been laid off and will be losing her insurance at the end of the month. Her husband has no health insurance, and also isn't employed.

    Then she gave me a present and thanked me for being her doctor.

    I was undone. She's being laid off, she's the one with no insurance, and she brought me a gift?! I didn't know what to say, except to thank her profusely. I also resolved not to complain about my schedule, even to myself. (Who knows how long I'll keep that resolution, but I'm going to try.)

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment