Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Tuesday, June 24, 2003
     
    Malawi Update

    Let me make up for depriving you of Chuen-Yen's ongoing experiences as an expatriate internist by supplying you with the following. We will be hearing a lot from her this week as I make up for my ten days' absence. (For those of you who do not know, Gift is Chuen-Yen's houseboy.)

    �If I have too much money, someone might eat me.�
    -- Gift, on financial success

    In an effort to launch a nationwide survey, Gift and I have been stuffing envelopes late into the evenings. Thus I�ve been treated to countless hours of his life philosophy. During last night�s vespertine musings, we discussed the trials and tribulations of becoming wealthy.

    According to Gift, Malawans cannot and should not ascend the socioeconomic ladder for a plethora of reasons. First, there is nepotism; bosses preferentially hire people from their own tribe. Then there is the general sentiment that labor should beget immediate gratification. As I explained my project, Gift asserted that no Malawan could do research given its ambiguous returns.

    Jealousy is the most serious impediment to prosperity. Malawans won�t allow their countrymen to be successful. When achievement threatens, they sabotage their comrades by witchcraft. Exceptionally envious adversaries may even resort to cannibalism.

    Gift, who religiously allocates 30 minutes per day to thinking, articulated several astute insights. He noted that President Muluzi is poor role model; pettiness is stifling social progress; and that lack of forethought precipitates penury. He vehemently advocated education as a means of advancement. After this bout of wisdom, I rhetorically asked Gift how he was planning to break the cycle of poverty and oppression. He responded, �Madame, I cannot do that. I am Malawian.�

    Why would Gift want to be rich anyway? Money is wrought with perils, the worst of which is that you might be eaten.


    Take care,

    CY


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment