Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Monday, April 28, 2003
     
    Happy Monday

    Argh. I'm hospitalist again this week. Yes, I know I said I'd never do it again, but here I am... doing it for the money. As a result, blogging may be light this week - but here's another delightful email from Chuen-Yen, reporting on conditions in Malawi:

    Salutations! Here are some thoughts for this week:

    I occasionally fantasize that I�m well adjusted to Malawian culture. Anon, I am inevitably reminded that this is a delusion. The farrago of warm welcomes I received upon returning from vacation is case in point. BAH staff declared it a pleasure to have me back. Friends embraced me. Some patients delivered fresh produce. I was offered another goat.

    After initial greetings, �Did you gain weight?� was a common follow-up question. As I hadn�t checked, I awkwardly responded, �It�s quite possible,� to the first few enquirers.

    Another recurrent statement was, �You must have enjoyed your holiday. You�re a bit pale.�

    With such pleasantries, I became a tad self-conscious and rushed to a mirror at first opportunity. The reflection suggested my pallor had actually decreased due to recent elemental exposures. Expat friends confirmed this observation. Later, I stepped onto the hospital�s only scale. The reading was identical to that of three months prior. Several nurses tried to console me by remarking, �You look heavier than that.�

    My sunburn was another point of interest amongst the locals. Having walked across a glacier sans protection, my peeling face required intermittent application of various salves. However, the dark Malawans aren�t familiar with sequelae of sun exposure. Burdened by an average life expectancy of thirty-six years, most don�t survive long enough to appreciate skin cancer. On the other hand, they are well acquainted with chemical injuries and fire accidents. Hence, I gave a lengthy explanation using the analogy of industrial mishaps.

    Such interactions are contextually logical. In a country ravished by disease and famine, obesity is a status symbol. Where poverty equals interminable days of laboring under glaring sun, only the privileged are pale. Most people don�t have the luxury of worrying about consequences of UV radiation. Hence, when complimented on how fat and pasty I have become, I now graciously accept the flattery.

    Take care,
    CY


    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment