Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Friday, April 04, 2003
     
    Call Me Paladin*

    Busy, busy, busy today. We had lots of doctors out at various medical conferences... either the ACP national meeting in San Diego or the Pri-Med in Long Beach. That means I'm covering for lots of people and trying to solve all sorts of problems. I got the office manager to distribute some of the phone calls to other docs, but I still had to review dozens of referral requests and...

    Why am I burdening you with this??

    Anyway. This weekend promises to be a busy one. I am taking hospitalist call tonight, which means I can expect to get pulled from my bed at some point this evening to admit one or more patients, and I'm also doing telephone call for the group Saturday and Sunday. I am doing this, of course, for money. Renovating one's home comes expensive.

    When my medical director asked me earlier this week if I'd take telephone call, she quoted me a price and I said, "Done," and then realized that this was just like the bargaining scene in "Pretty Woman." I'm for sale... a medical slut. Or should I rather say, a hired gun?

    *Which leads me back to the title of this post... Paladin was the lead character in "Have Gun, Will Travel." At this point I feel my slogan should be "Have stethoscope, will travel."

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment