Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Friday, February 14, 2003
     
    Valentine's Day

    You knew this was coming.

    Most blogs I have seen with this topic are either gooey-happy or bitter: I'm in the bitter camp. And then there's the occasional philosophical post about dating. Here's a very good one (via Instapundit).

    I'm going to give you my most vivid Valentine's memory from a few years ago. It's medical, not romantic. Disclaimer: I'm not posting this because it's funny - it's not - but because it was one of those ironies that just hits you sometimes.

    My first patient of the day. A woman whom I'd seen several times. Scarcely had I gotten inside the room when she burst into tears and told me her story: her husband had been caught on Sunset Boulevard with a prostitute. She wanted to be checked for "everything."

    I counseled her as best I could, examined her and told her everything looked fine, and ran the tests. (Happy ending: everything was negative.) It was only as I was completing my progress note that I realized what day it was: February fourteenth. The moment I realized this, I got the sensation of icewater down my back.

    That's it, really.

    But just to let you know that I'm not completely twisted, I did bring valentines for the staff today.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment