Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, February 12, 2003
     
    Ahhh, rain. It's about time; we haven't had any here since the week before Christmas. I am praying for a light day at the office today, as is often the case on a rainy day; people just don't keep their appointments, especially those who get here on the bus. It may seem funny to those in parts of the country contending with heavy snow and below-freezing temperatures, but here a heavy winter rainstorm is a big deal. It really snarls traffic, and it's not unusual for roads to flood out - especially in the San Fernando Valley.

    One of our medical assistants just arrived, over an hour late; she commutes here from the Lancaster/Palmdale area, more than sixty miles away. She staggered in looking strung out and told us that her commute this morning took over three hours. In the high desert at this time of year the roads are a mess. The only real way in or out of Lancaster is Highway 14 and when it rains here, it's often snowing there.

    Read Lileks today. His topic is exactly what I spent all day yesterday thinking about - getting our emergency supplies together in the event of an attack. Unbelievable. Were people advised to do this during the Cold War? I mean, officially, by the government? I'm not sure. I made a mental list as I coped with my evening commute: Must get sheet plastic and duct tape this weekend at Home Depot. The last time I had anything to do with those items was twenty years ago, in winter, as a college student in a drafty Philadelphia rowhouse. We had to cover all the windows or freeze our butts off.

    I made plans earlier this week for a vacation in Mexico later this year. I wonder if I'm being insanely optimistic, will the world still be in one piece? and then I think the hell with it, there's no reason not to plan for vacation.

    Have a good, safe day.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment