Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Sunday, December 01, 2002
     
    World AIDS Day

    December 1 is World AIDS Day. Please don't forget.

    I never really saw AIDS until I landed in San Francisco for my residency, in 1990 - when the epidemic was at its height. I went to med school in Philadelphia in the mid to late 1980's and we just didn't see much of it there at that time. It's a horrible disease.

    Here in the US and other industrialized countries, we have the benefit of advanced retroviral therapy and effective AIDS prevention programs. Not every place is so lucky. The average person who is HIV positive is now an African woman. AIDS is now running rampant on the African continent; if you don't believe me read Chuen-Yen's posts.

    There is a program called GAIA, which stands for Global AIDS Interfaith Alliance, which is trying to combat AIDS in Africa. If you are looking for a good end-of-year charity to donate to, I would recommend them.

    And please remember: SAFE SEX.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment