Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Sunday, April 17, 2011
     
    Raclette


    I've been meaning to post about my experience with raclette for awhile, but as usual have put it off. At least now I can tell you that I have made it several times and have been extremely happy with the result. If you're in an area with chilly weather, this may still be a useful post for you...

    I came across this post on raclette at Tea and Cookies some time ago and was instantly riveted. I had certainly read about raclette, but had always thought of it as the sort of dish you would have to experience in its native land (in this case, Switzerland). Who knew that raclette cheese was so widely available? And doesn't melted cheese and potatoes sound like the most delicious dinner ever?

    So off I went and found myself some raclette (try Trader Joe's or the fancy cheese section of an upscale supermarket). While I was at it I also bought the cornichons, a traditional garnish for raclette, and some baby potatoes. Tara of Tea and Cookies also suggested brussels sprouts as a side, which I think would be excellent. You really do need something pungent and/or spicy as an offset to the smooth, rich, bland combination of melted cheese and potatoes.

    Raclette in its natural state is a somewhat strong-smelling cheese, though not unpleasantly so. Melted it is deliciously mild. The website recommends heating it in a toaster oven, which I think would work great. Not having a toaster oven I used a lidded glass dish and stuck it in at 275-300° while boiling the potatoes.

    I like the look of the little potatoes, but you can also boil regular sized potatoes and cut them up. When done, put the potatoes on plates, throw on a dab of mustard, a spoon of cornichons and divvy up the cheese. I am here to tell you, this is delicious. Best served with white wine, but any beverage will do.

    Labels:


    3 comments

    3 Comments:

    cheese and potatoes and I'm there! mmmm. great post!

    By Blogger anna, at April 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM  

    Yes, with a nice crisp white it is very tasty indeed!

    My Sister-out-Law is coming over from Switzerland in a few weeks; I may have to torture her....

    WV: "imboo" What Casper the Friendly Ghost does with spirits.

    By Blogger Mr. Bingley, at April 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

    I just made this last night! First thought, oh no, I have to use this cheese, it is stinking up the fridge! But once I got past the smell (sort of), it is rather addictive: http://cooktj.com/content/easy-french-comfort-food-tartiflette

    My roommate liked it more than I did, which surprised me as he doesn't even like brie.

    By Blogger Pisser, at April 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM  

    Post a Comment